Admission Requirements for International and Homeschooled Students

International students

Recorded Auditions

Candidates who reside outside the country, who apply for admission to the Bachelor's Degree in Performing Music or in Jazz and Caribbean Music Performance, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels, may submit their audition by video recording.

After being admitted, they will take the corresponding theory and dictation exams.

Admission requirements

International students, in addition to completing the requirements indicated above for each Baccalaureate, must provide the following:

  1. Complete and submit the admission application and pay the corresponding fee (non-refundable) on the date stipulated in the academic calendar.
  2. Submit a copy of your high school diploma or its equivalent. This copy must be certified by the Ministry of Education of your country or by the American Consulate.
  3. Submit an official copy of the high school credit transcript validated by the Ministry of Education of your country or by the American Consulate showing a general average of 2.00 points or more on a scale of 0.00-4.00 points. The concentration in Music Education requires a GPA for entry, with no exceptions. The transcript must be accompanied by a certification of the United States equivalence of the degree obtained in the country of origin.
  4. International students under 21 years of age must bring evidence of their immunization record to validate them in Puerto Rico, according to Law 25 of the Puerto Rico Department of Health.
  5. In those cases in which the language of the academic records is not English or Spanish, the candidate must submit a translation duly certified by the institution of origin. All academic records must be certified by the Ministry of Education of your country and by the American Consulate. In addition, they must send official information about the grading system used in the evaluation of academic achievement and evidence of the degrees and diplomas received.
  6. International students must apply for an entry visa to the United States. To do this, they must wait to receive the acceptance letter. These students are required to be enrolled full-time throughout the entire period of study and demonstrate the ability to financially support themselves.

Once the student is admitted, he or she will try to obtain a sponsor who will be responsible for the expenses related to his or her studies. Because international students cannot work to earn money to pay for their education and personal expenses, they must arrange to have a sponsor who has the money available to cover these expenses. The sponsor has the obligation to financially support the student while studying on American soil.

To do this, you will be asked to sign an affidavit where the sponsor agrees to pay for the student's studies. The International Student Handbook includes the estimated budget for the academic year.

The sponsor must provide evidence of income by submitting the following documents along with the affidavit:

  1. Letter from the company or institution where you work, indicating your monthly salary.
  2. Copy of the income tax return.
  3. Proof of salary.
  4. Bank report on official stamped paper from a banking or financial institution indicating the amount of money in the account. The minimum amount of money will depend on the estimated cost of studies per year, which includes accommodation, food and others.
  5. If the student is going to cover his own expenses, he must send a bank statement indicating that he has enough money in his account to cover the costs of his studies until he completes his university degree.
  6. If the international student has a promise that an institution in their country will pay for their studies, they must provide a letter from the organization indicating the commitment to pay for their studies.
  7. These documents must be sent to the Admissions Office. If the certification and documents meet the sponsorship requirements, the I-20 emigration form will be issued and sent to the student. With this document the student will be able to apply for an entry visa to the United States.

    For more information see the International Student Handbook

Homeschooled Students

Homeschooled students must meet the general admission requirements and the specific admission requirements for their concentration. Admission requirements for home-schooled candidates have been modified in the area of credit transcription and results of the College Admission Tests (PAA) offered by CollegeBoard Puerto Rico and Latin America to take into consideration the existing varieties in the scenario in homeschooling.

Homeschooled candidates may submit the documents mentioned in one of the two options indicated below in lieu of the credit transcript:

  1. The student must present evidence of having completed a study program equivalent to high school graduation in Puerto Rico. High school equivalency must be certified by the Puerto Rico Department of Education. The equivalence of the academic index obtained must meet the requirements of the program you apply for.
  2. If there is no evidence for the Puerto Rico Department of Education to certify that the student completed a study program equivalent to high school graduation in Puerto Rico, the parent or guardian of the student will present the documents indicated below:
    • Credit Transcript: The person or entity certifying home study will prepare a transcript of the student's approved courses. It must include: name of the course, period in which the course was taken, grade obtained. You must complete all courses required by the Department of Education to complete High School.
    • Home Educated Student Certification: This is an affidavit that highlights that the student completed his or her studies through the home learning modality. The form is available in the Admissions Office.

The student must present the results of the University Admission Tests (PAA) offered by CollegeBoard Puerto Rico and Latin America. The student is required to have obtained a minimum average of 1,200 points in all three parts of English, Spanish and mathematics. If the Conservatory deems it necessary, the student will appear for an interview.

Homeschooled Student Certification